A Strong Voice for Croydon Central - Gavin Barwell MP
Home
News
Help me
Campaigns
Biography
Expenses
Contact me

Good news on garden waste collections
26/01/2012 14:02:00

One of this Conservative administration's biggest successes has been the work it has done to help us all recycle. When it came to power, aside from in a few pilot areas there was no kerbside collection of plastic, glass, cans, paper, cardboard or garden waste and no kerbside collection of food waste whatsoever. As a result, Croydon had one of the lowest recycling rates in the country, just 14 per cent.

That has all changed - soon we will be recycling nearly 50 per cent of our household waste - but this strong overall record was slightly marred this year by the fact that garden waste collections ended too early before all the leaves were down.

I am therefore delighted that my colleagues on Croydon Council have listened to the concerns that I and others have expressed to them and announced that garden waste collection will run for 32 weeks this year, compared with just 24 weeks last year. Collections will start in the week commencing 23 April or the week commencing 30 April and will continue until the week ending Friday 23 November or the week ending Friday 30 November. The Council will deliver two free clear garden waste sacks to each property during late March/early April.

Comment on this blog

 

Readers' Comments

On 02/02/2012 16:30:00 Marion Smith wrote:
Very pleased with these revised dates, will be much more helpful.
 
On 02/02/2012 17:15:00 Janet McLean wrote:
Well done. This needed changing.
 
On 02/02/2012 18:32:00 Alan Catherall wrote:
Any extension to the garden waste collection will be gratefully received - that's great.

However, perhaps the Council might consider providing the slop-bin liners free of charge as they did at the beginning of that initiative. I am sure the Council can get these at a cheaper cost (in bulk) than I can as an individual householder. The cost of these bags in local supermarkets is prohibitive and means an additional cost of £50+ p.a. I know of quite a few families (including myself) that are considering giving up on this initiative because of the additional cost.

 
On 02/02/2012 19:38:00 Valerie Phillips wrote:
It's really good to know that you have listened re garden waste collections and done something about it. The good thing about it finishing early is that I am trying to make leaf mould!!!!
 
On 02/02/2012 22:05:00 Jim Nayyar wrote:
Good work!
 
On 02/02/2012 22:29:00 Jackie Staniforth wrote:
I had reservations about the new "food waste" collection, mainly because I wondered if the tons of plastic required to make all those new bins would ever be compensated for by the recycled food. I'm still not entirely happy about that but am very happy about the efficient way the food waste is being dealt with, in my area at least, and wonder how I ever mixed all the waste up together. I'm also impressed with the with helpfulness of the bin men, especially in assisting my 92 year-old neighbour replace her bins next to the front door - they all know her and speak to her in such a friendly way as she pops out each week to make sure they know where to put them!
 
On 03/02/2012 19:53:00 KEN FRANCIS wrote:
Well done Gavin, This is a very good decision, helps to get as you say autumn leaves and such out of the way, also good compust for council sowings for the following year.
 
On 13/02/2012 16:40:00 Denise wrote:
Having a small wooded area behind my house, the early finish to garden waste was a disaster. Agree that the council need to deliver more food waste bags. I know that we can use newspaper, but this easily gets soggy and falls apart!
 
On 27/02/2012 23:02:00 Stan Goron wrote:
The new arrangements are certainly better than last year, when the decision to cease the green collections so early was beyond belief. But why start so late??? I already have 7 or 8 bags of garden material waiting for collection. And if the milder weather continues I expect a lot of other people will have material for collection.
 
 

 

 

 More Blog Posts
03/04/2017
Friday night's attack on a 17 year-old asylum seeker
  Read Story
23/03/2017
Reflections on yesterday's attack
  Read Story
15/03/2017
IVF services in Croydon
  Read Story
02/03/2017
Government backs upgrade of London to Brighton railway and refuses to fund BML2 concept that would be bad news for Addiscombe in particular
  Read Story
27/02/2017
Spot the difference
  Read Story
21/02/2017
Second interim report on Croydon tram crash
  Read Story
07/02/2017
Fixing our broken housing market.
  Read Story
02/02/2017
Government provides £14m for refurbishment of Fairfield Halls and redevelopment of College Green.
  Read Story
02/02/2017
Southern Rail latest update
  Read Story
31/01/2017
How I will vote on the EU (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
  Read Story

Full list of blog posts here

     
Gavin Barwell, House of Commons, SW1A 1AA, Tel  020 8660 0491      © Gavin Barwell  2017       Promoted by Ian Parker on behalf of Gavin Barwell, both at 36 Brighton Road, Purley, CR8 2LG